Berlin transportation - prices and tips
Getting to the Airport
There are 2 airports in Berlin:
- Tegel Airport (TXL) is the main airport of Berlin, located in 7 kilometers from the city.
- Schonefeld Airport (SFX) - Usually charter, as well as low cost airlines such as EasyJet. Located in 18 kilometers from the city
The official website of the airports of Berlin berlin-airport.de/en
By public transport
- Tegel - By express bus. Travel time is about 30-40 minutes to the center of Berlin, price 3,5 USD = 2.9 EUR
- Schonefeld - You can get there by Metro, Airport Express train and bus. Trip price 4,6 USD = 3.8 EUR
Taxi price from/to Berlin Airports
- Tegel Airport 36,3 - 48,4 USD = 30 - 40 EUR
- Schonefeld Airport 42,4 - 60,5 USD = 35 - 50 EUR
Transfer from the airport
- Tegel Airport 60,5 USD = 50 EUR
- Schonefeld Airport 72,7 USD = 60 EUR
You can view prices and book a ride to the airport with the international online service KiwiTaxi
Berlin city transportation cost
The city's transport system includes buses, metro, trams, electric trains (S-bahn) and ferries. There are three tariff zones in Berlin:
- A - city center.
- B - the whole city and Tegel airport
- C is a suburb of Berlin, including Potsdam, Schönefeld Airport and Oranienburg.
The ticket is the same for all types of transport and can be bought from machines at stops, or through the BVG mobile application. There is a wide variety of tickets:
Single tickets for short trips Kurzstrecke
You can travel 3 metro stops or six bus/tram stops. Discount for children.
- 1 ticket costs 2,4 USD = 2.00 EUR
- Pack of 4 tickets 7,3 USD = 6 EUR
Regular Einzelfahrausweis Single Tickets
Time limit 2 hours, you can change trains between different types of transport. Discount for children.
- 1 regular ticket for zone AB 3,6 USD = 3 EUR
- Pack of 4 tickets 11,4 USD = 9.4 EUR
- Tageskarte for 1 day, zones AB 10,7 USD = 8.8 EUR
- 7-Tage-Karte for 7 days, zones AB 43,6 USD = 36 EUR
- Kleingruppen-Tageskarte is a one day pass for a group of up to five people. zones AB 30,9 USD = 25.5 EUR
Berlin Welcome Card Tourist Tickets
Public Transport Card + 50% discount on tickets to Berlin attractions read more at www.visitberlin .de
- Price for 2 days 27,9 USD = 23 EUR
- 3 days 40 USD = 33 EUR
- 4 days 48,4 USD = 40 EUR
- 6 days 59,3 USD = 49 EUR
Websites for buying tickets
- Official website of Berlin city transport vbb.de
- There is a convenient website for tourists where you can buy single tickets for all types of public transport in different versions: sbahn.berlin/en/
Taxi fares in Berlin
- Jump in a taxi 2,4 USD = 2.00 EUR
- For a minute of waiting 0,36 USD = 0.30 EUR
- Per kilometer 1,6 USD = 1.30 EUR
Rent a city bike in Berlin
- 2 hours 7,3 - 9,7 USD = 6 - 8 EUR
- 4 hours 9,7 - 12,1 USD = 8 - 10 EUR
- Daily 14,5 - 17 USD = 12 - 14 EUR
City bike rental
Rent a car in Berlin
Examples of prices from international rental companies when booking in advance for 1 month for a period of 10 days.
- Ford Focus MT 25,4 USD = 21 EUR per day
- Mercedes-Benz A-class AT 42,4 USD = 35 EUR per day
- For full insurance without deductible, an extra charge of 12,1 - 18,2 USD = 10 - 15 EUR per day
Compare car rental prices at various rental companies and book a car with the world’s largest international service Rentalcars
- Super 1,8 USD = 1.45 EUR
- Diesel 1,6 USD = 1.30 EUR
Parking in the center of Berlin is around 3,6 USD = 3 EUR per hour.
Intercity Transportation in Germany
Buses from Berlin
Travel by bus, the cheapest way to travel around Europe.
As usual, the lowest price is offered when booking in advance. Examples of ticket prices between Berlin and cities:
- Warsaw 24,2 USD = 20 EUR travel time 7-8 hours
- Prague 19,4 USD = 16 EUR travel time 10-11 hours
- Amsterdam 36,3 USD = 30 EUR travel time 10-11 hours
- Munich 18,2 - 24,2 USD = 15 - 20 EUR travel time 7 hours
Сar trips Blablacar
An alternative to public transport is to travel in private cars through Blablacar.
Often such a trip is cheaper and more convenient than a bus or train. Approximate prices for trips from Berlin
- Prague 18,2 USD = 15 EUR
- Warsaw 24,2 USD = 20 EUR
- Amsterdam 36,3 USD = 30 EUR
Airfare to Munich
Many European airlines fly to Munich, including low-cost carriers.
Offers can vary in price, time and place of departure.
Traditionally, the more convenient the flight (in terms of time and place of departure), the more expensive.
All flight options from your departure city on OneTwoTrip
Read my review of useful websites to choose the right means of transport for your travel