Transport of Brussels and Belgium - price review
How much does it cost to get to the airport
To the airport by public transport
Brussels Airport is located in the city of Zaventem, 12 km from Brussels. Ways to get to the airport and prices:
On weekdays, a one-way trip costs 10 USD = 8.60 EUR and on weekends 17,2 USD = 14.80 EUR and takes about 20 minutes to reach the center of Brussels
Attention!, you need 2 buses, we are going with a transfer!
The bus company De Lijn connects the airport with the city center of Zaventem, and the company STIB connects Zaventem with Brussels. The road takes from 30 to 40 minutes
The total fare 9,3 - 15,1 USD = 8 - 13. EUR the ticket can be bought from the driver.
Taxi from Brussels Airport to the city center costs 40,8 - 52,4 USD = 35 - 45 EUR
Transfer from the airport
- Transfer to Brussels 44,3 USD = 38 EUR
- Transfer to Bruges 139,8 USD = 120 EUR
- Transfer to Gent 99 USD = 85 EUR
You can view prices and book a ride to the airport with the international online service KiwiTaxi
Prices for Brussels city transport
Taxi prices in Brussels
- Take a taxi 3,9 USD = 3.31 EUR
- Payment per kilometer 2,2 USD = 1.85 EUR
- Minute of waiting in traffic 0,58 USD = 0.50 EUR
Thus, a trip around the city can cost about 17,5 USD = 15. EUR Taxi to the airport will cost about 40,8 - 52,4 USD = 35 - 45 EUR
- Public transport ticket fare 2,4 USD = 2.1 EUR
- Travel by metro and buses 10 tickets 16,3 USD = 14 EUR
- Travel ticket for 24 hours 8,7 USD = 7.5 EUR
- Travel ticket for 48 hours 16,3 USD = 14 EUR
- Travel ticket for 72 hours 21 USD = 18 EUR
Detailed information on various tickets on the site stib-mivb.be
Bicycle rental in Brussels and Belgium
Belgium has a developed network of bike paths and also has several rental systems for conventional and electric bicycles.
Bike rental prices
Bluebike offers affordable bike rentals all over the country. First you need to register on the site and pay 14 USD = 12 EUR as an annual payment for using the service. It is now possible to rent a bike from numerous automatic rental locations throughout Belgium. The cost of rental in Brussels is 3,7 USD = 3.15 EUR per day.
Carrying a bicycle in transport
Transporting a folding bike in transport is free. It will cost 5,8 USD = 5 EUR one way and 9,3 USD = 8 EUR round trip to transport a regular bicycle.
Car rental in Belgium
Examples of prices from international car rental companies. For full insurance without deductible extra charge 11,7 USD = 10 EUR per day
- Volkswagen Golf MT 25,6 USD = 22 EUR
- Volkswagen Golf AT 31,5 USD = 27 EUR
Compare car rental prices at various rental companies and book a car with the world’s largest international service Rentalcars
- Gasoline 95 1,6 USD = 1.36 EUR
- Diesel 1,6 USD = 1.35 EUR
It is forbidden to enter Brussels and Antwerp by cars that do not comply with emission standards.
A vehicle with a non-Belgian number must be registered at lez.brussels
If the car meets the requirements, entry is free. If not, you need to buy a pass 40,8 USD = 35 EUR for 1 day
Penalty for violation 174,8 USD = 150 EUR for lack of registration and 407,8 USD = 350 EUR if the car does not meet the standards. Find out more at lez.brussels
- Seat belt not wearing 58,3 USD = 50 EUR
- Exceeding the speed limit by 10 km/h 58,3 USD = 50 EUR
- Exceeding the speed limit over 10 km / h in the city 58,3 USD = 50 EUR + 11,7 USD = 10 EUR for each additional 1 km/h
- Exceeding 10 km / h outside the city 58,3 USD = 50 EUR + 5,8 USD = 5 EUR for every 1 km/h
Parking in Brussels
Parking in Brussels along the streets is traditionally 1,2 - 3,5 USD = 1 - 3 EUR per hour, depending on the distance from the center.
There are good options for indoor parking for 1,2 USD = 1 EUR per hour and 9,3 USD = 8 EUR per day. For example zenpark.com
Examples of prices for trains inside Belgium
- Travel from Brussels to Bruges 17,2 USD = 14.8. EUR time 55 minutes
- From Brussels to Antwerp 9 USD = 7.7. EUR time 35 minutes on the way
Types of train tickets
- Standard-ticket - A regular one way ticket, the price depends on the distance.
- Weekend ticket This is a round-trip ticket for the price of a one-way ticket
- Rail pass - ticket for 10 trips at the price of 96,7 USD = 83 EUR
- Go Pass 10 - a ticket for 10 trips for young people under 26 years old at a price of 61,8 USD = 53 EUR
- Go Pass 1 - One trip ticket for young people under 26 years old. Price is fixed regardless of the route. It is beneficial for one-time long-distance trips.
Features of the Belgian Railways
- Important! You can make a stop of any duration if the stop point is on the route of the ticket.
- If the route with transfers, then you do not need to buy separate tickets. The ticket is bought from point A to point B, no matter how many transfers you need to make.
- Tickets are sold to a specific city, not the station. Therefore, for example, it does not matter if you exit Brussel Central or Brussel Midi.
- Children under 12 travel free
- The price of the ticket does not change depending on the place of purchase. Both at the box office, in the machine, and on the website tickets cost the same. The ticket price does not depend on the date of purchase.
Buses from Brussels
Traveling by bus, the cheapest way to travel around Europe.
As usual, the lowest price is offered when booking in advance. Examples of ticket prices:
- Brussels - Bruges 7 USD = 6 EUR ride 1 hour 20 minutes
- Brussels - Gent ticket price 7 USD = 6 EUR ride 1 hour
Transportation prices from Brussels to neighboring countries
- Brussels - Paris 11,7 - 18,6 USD = 10 - 16 EUR on the way 3,5-4 hours
- Brussels - Amsterdam 11,7 - 18,6 USD = 10 - 16 EUR on the road 2.45-3 hours
- Brussels - Paris 69,9 - 81,6 USD = 60 - 70 EUR and 2 hours on the way
- Brussels - Amsterdam 64,1 - 69,9 USD = 55 - 60 EUR on the road 2-3 hours
Read my review of useful websites to choose the right means of transport for your travel